As of 2011, there are over 4,400 alumni from the Department of Health Policy and Administration. This includes alumni receiving BS, MS, MHA and Ph.D. degrees from the department.
Our alumni reside in all 50 states and the District of Columbia as well as 29 foreign countries. As you might expect, Pennsylvania leads with 2,603 HPA alumni.
Below is a list of the top 10 states where HPA alumni reside.
- PA 2603
- NJ 227
- VA 194
- MD 192
- NY 150
- FL 129
- CA 106
- NC 87
- OH 66
- IL 46 / GA 46
H P A Historical Dates
- 1968: The College of Human Development recruits Dr. Marshall Raffel as Head of the Division of Biological Health to develop an undergraduate program in health planning and administration as an option in the Biological Health major.
- Spring 1969: The first H P A course, H P A 101, is offered at University Park.
- Fall 1970: The first two undergraduate degrees in H P A are awarded.
- 1973: The graduate program in Community Systems Planning and Development is initiated with an M.S. and Ph.D. CSP D includes a health planning and administration option.
- 1976: First M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in CSP D awarded.
- 1977: Health Planning and Administration established as a separate major in the College of Human Development
- 1987: Master of Health Administration (M.H.A.) degree program replaces the M.S. in CSP D with the H P A option
- 1988: Department of Health Planning and Administration changes name to Health Policy and Administration
- 1990: Ph.D. program in Health Policy and Administration initiated
- 1990: First M.H.A. degree awarded at University Park
- 1993: First Ph.D. in Health Policy and Administration awarded at University Park