Kinesiology Affiliate Program Group: Awards
The Outstanding Senior in Kinesiology Award
Sponsored by the Kinesiology Affiliate Program Group, an affiliate group of Penn State’s College of Health and Human Development Alumni Society and the Penn State Alumni Association
Eligibility and Criteria
This award shall be given to a graduating senior majoring in Kinesiology (Athletic Training Option, Fitness Studies Option, Movement Science Option, or Physical and Health Education Teacher Education (PHETE).
Candidate must have:
- Completed at least 90 credits including the course, 395 A, B or F or currently registered in 395 A, or waived from the requirement, and plan to graduate in May, August or December.
- Demonstrated exemplary leadership in the College of Health and Human Development and/or University; and
- Shown exemplary service to the community through the promotion of healthy living, fitness and wellness.
Students (undergraduate or graduate students in Kinesiology), faculty, staff, and alumni may make nominations. Students may also nominate themselves.
Nominees should submit the following information:
- Completed application form (downloadable RTF document).
- Statement by the candidate, not to exceed one page, double-spaced with font size no smaller than 12 point, describing how he/she has demonstrated the qualities listed in the award criteria listed above.
- Two letters of reference from a faculty, staff member, work/volunteer supervisor or a graduate student. One letter must be from either a faculty or staff member in the College of Health and Human Development.
- Summary of any publications, presentations, independent research, special projects, student teaching, special clinical work etc.
- Transcripts (unofficial)
- Resume or CV
Application packets must be postmarked or hand-delivered by March 1st (or the first school day after that date if the 1st falls on a weekend) and should be submitted to:
Assistant Dean for Alumni and College Relations and Leadership Initiatives
201 Henderson Building
University Park, PA 16802
Office location (if hand-delivering): 215 Henderson Building
The recipient of this award shall be selected by the Awards Committee of the Kinesiology Affiliate Program Group and approved by the board of directors.
- $250 and engraved plaque to be presented to the recipient on the day of his/her graduation ceremony
- Recognition on Kinesiology APG Web site and newspaper publication of choice
- An invitation to attend the Department of Kinesiology award program held each fall
The Kinesiology APG award will be granted one time per year and the date of the presentation will vary according to the graduation date of the recipient (May, August or December).
Past Award Winners
2010: Lindsey Heck
2008: Michelle LaBoda
Do you know a Kinesiology alum who is deserving of the Outstanding Kinesiology Alumni Award? If so, please e-mail Abby Diehl at email@example.com.
For additional awards presented to alumni, faculty, staff, and students in the College of Health and Human Development, please visit the HHD Alumni Award page at:www.hhdev.psu.edu/alumni/awards/
HHD Alumni Emerging Professional - Graduate Degree Award Winner
Christopher Minson ’97g, associate professor in the Department of Human Physiology at the University of Oregon, received the Emerging Professional – Graduate Degree Award from the College of Health and Human Development Alumni Society. The award is annually presented to an alumnus/alumna who graduated from the College of Health and Human Development within the past ten years who has demonstrated professional excellence and exemplary voluntary community involvement in a health and human development field.
Left to right: Bill Farquhar ‘98g, Lacy Holowatz, Chris Minson '97g; Paula Franetti ’78; Mary Wolk ’83, and Neil Sharkey, associate dean for research and graduate education
Do you know a Kinesiology alum who is deserving of the Outstanding Kinesiology Alumni Award? If so, please e-mail Sheri Parker, president, sheriblair@psualum, or Abby Diehl, director of alumni relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional awards, please visit the HHD Alumni Award page at: www.hhdev.psu.edu/alumni/awards/