Fellowship Appointment Guidelines
Postdoc Fellowships (Fellowship Appointment)
1. New appointments are processed on a NAPP form. Changes and reappointments are processed on a GRAD form.
2. Postdoc Fellow appointments are supported by a fellowship (as defined by the IRS) administered through the university on behalf of the fellow's faculty sponsor (example: NIH). They are considered full time (1.0 FTE but temporary 48 wk appoinments. They are typically appointed for a 1 year period and may be reappointed for up to 6 years. They are required to work and be compensated at 100 percent time. Appointments pay a stipend and sometimes include an additional sum that can be used for health insurance and other expenses. (This information was provided on the Research.psu.edu site for postdoctoral scholars and fellows).
3. Are granted to appointees that were recently awarded a PH.D or equivalent degree.
4. Must be paid the minimum annual salary noted each July 1. This is noted at the bottom on the Grad Stipend table in GURU. (https//:guru.psu.edu/gfug/appendices/APP05.html).
5. Items to look at on new appointment NAPP/GFST forms are:
- Effective date and appointment begin date should be same.
- Effective/begin date cannot be earlier than the 1-9 begin work date for International students.
- The appointment end date cannot be more than 12 months after the appointment begin date. Appointmentsw can cross fiscal years.
- Appointment begin/end dates should co-inside with the gran begin/end dates.
- Appointment type - 'F'-FEL.
- Appointment rank-P10, secondary title Fellow-Postdoc.
- P10 appointments can be reimbursed for insurance (if the grant permits) via SRFC.
- Fellow appointments are direct charged and the Pay budget should be the account to be charged NOT the 423-98 10002 account. Fellow appointments cannot be charged to a general account (except a 688-?? Budget). Exceptions require the Corporate Controller's approval.
- Pay code should be TAXM, object class is 395.
- Tuition should be noted not to be paid by the student - and should indicate the same budget noted as the pay budget. Tuition cannot be charged to a general account. Exceptions require the Corporate Controller's approval.
- Green and salary sheets are not required for Fellows.
- If the appointment form is submitted late and the first pay perios is missed, an SRFC can be procesed to pay the missed pay. The purpose of the SRFC shoujdl be 1099 Fellow payment, use 395 obj class, and charge the same budget reflected on the appointment. Reflect the appointment document number on the form.
Fellowship Appointments (Predoc and Trainees)
1. Fellowship appontments are paid through the University payroll system even though no services are required. there are internal fellowship appointments (example: University Graduate Fellow/UGF's) and external fellowships (example: NIH).
2. University Graduate Fellows - Please see the special appointment section of handout.
3. Items to look at on new appointment NAPP/GFST form are (reappointments are processed on a GRAD form):
- Effective date and appointment begin date should be the saem.
- Effective/being date cannot be earlier than the 1-9 begin work date for International students.
- Appointment end date cannot be more then 12 months after the appointment begin date. Appointments can cross fiscal years.
- Appointment begin/end dates should co-inside with the grant begin.end dates.
- Appointment type should be 'F'-FEL.
- Appointment rank should be P20-for Pre Doc Fellows or P30-for Fellow Trainees.
- Fellow appointments MUST be the 'Primary' appointment.
- Appointments shoudl NOT be 100% FTE (1.0).
- Fellow appointments are direct charged and the Pay budget should be the account to be charged NOT the 423-98 1002 account. Fellow appointments cannnot be charged to a general account (except a 688-?? Budget). Exceptions required the Corporate Contoller's approval.
- Pay code-TAXM, object cladd is 395.
- Tuition should be noted NOT to be paid by the student and should indicate the same budget noted as the pay budget. Tuition cannot be charged to a general account. exceptions require the Corporate Contoller's approval.
- Green and salary sheets are not required for Fellows.
- If appointment form is submitted late and the first pay period is missed, amd SRFC can be processed to pay the missed pay. The purpose of the SRFC should be 1099 Fellow payment, use 395 obj class, and charge the same budget reflected on the appointment. Reference the appointment DOC number on the SRFC.
- NIH Pre Docs and Fellow Trainees must be paid according the NIH guidelines. The stipend amounts are found on the NIH Kirschstein-NRSA fellow website. http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-14-046.html
- NIH Pre Docs Fellows cannot be appointed for more than 5 years. The Stipend tables may change for new funds awarded after October 1st of each year - these new rates are not released until Feb/March of the following year. No notifications are received. If a student is elegible for the new rate, the department should submit a GRAD form with the new rate and pay back pay.
- NIH Fellow Trainees are paid according to the NIH guidelines and their year of experience (example: for a new trainee the rate eill be $xxxx, after on year if the student is reappointed the rate will be for a 1 yr student $xxxx, etc). Rates may change and same guidelines follow as showm above.
- NIH fellows (PRE DOC and Trainees) must be appointed/paid at the same salary rate for 1 year. If the rates change and the fellow has not received the same salary for 1 year, he/she will not be eligible for the new rate.
-A new Trainee is appointed Aug 1, 2011-July 31, 2012 (the grant dates are 8/1/11-7/31/12). This student will be paid the amount of stipend shown for a trainee with no experience for 1 year. The new rates are released and reflect a stipend increase for fund awarded after Oct 1, 2011. This student is not eligible for an increase for 2 reasons-he had not received the same salary for 1 year and the grant was awarded prior to 10/1/11.
-A new Trainee is appointed Aug 1, 2011-June 30, 2012 (the grant dates are 7/1/11-6/30/12). New rates are released and the student is not eligible for it because he was not paid the same rate for 1 complete year and the grant ws awarded prior to 10/1/11. A reappointment for this student should be processed when the new grant number is recieved. The new grant effective dates are 7/1/12-6/30/13. The reappointment will be for 1 month (july 2012) at the old stipend rate - this will complete 1 year at the same salary rate. Then another reappointment form should be processed for Aug-June. The rate will be the new rate (since the new fund was awarded after 10/1/11) for a 1 year experiences Trainee.
-A new Trainee is appointed 11/1/11-10/31/12 (the grant dates are the same 11/1/11-10/31/12. New rat4es are released in Feb/March for new funds awarded after 10/1/11. This sutdent is eligible for the new rate since he is a new Trainee and the grant was awarded after 10/1/11. A GRAD change form should be submitted with a 11/1/11 effective date increasing his stipend to the new rate.
- Secondary FT2 appointments may be processed for compensation or supplementation for NIH Fellows.
- Compensation is paid to NIH fellows for the following:
-The Payments are for services rendered.
-The situation otherwise meets the conditions for compensation of students as detailed in 'Cost considerations selected items of cost salaries and wages compensation of students' in the NIH guidelines.
For more information please see the NIH Kirschstein-NRSA fellow website. http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-14-046.html
Partial Pay for Fellowship
When you are calculating the partial pay for a fellowship it should be based on a 7 day work week because they are an academic appointment.
Fellowship starts on 8/15-5/31 (39 weeks) and will receive a total of $3000. Since a fellowship is an academic appointment you calculate based on the daily rate:
$3000/39 weeks/? days= $10.99 a daily.
Since they worked for 16 days in August pay them $175.84 $3000- $175.84=$2824.16
There are 9 months remaining $2824.16 /9= 313.79 a month.
When you add all the months make sure it comes out to the $3000, when I do the math I am off by .05 so I would add that to August $175.89.