The Global Leadership Initiative (GLI) is designed to prepare a select group of academically talented and highly motivated students for future leadership in areas related to global health, human development, and sustainability. Students will have the opportunity to design their participation in the GLI in such a way as to strengthen and enhance their program of studies in their major.
Successful applicants must:
- Be in their sophomore year (although juniors may be accepted from “discovery” majors that have a limited number of underclass students).
- Participate in HHD 397A at the University Park campus.
- Have a minimum grade-point average of 3.00.
- Have a strong desire to develop global leadership skills and knowledge in their chosen field.
- Be prepared to spend at least three weeks abroad participating in activities that will foster a deeper understanding of the culture of the country and of the health, human development, and sustainability issues in the country.
- Commit to pursuing these global leadership qualifications throughout their undergraduate careers, and to sharing their experiences with future cohorts of GLI students.
- Provide the information requested in the application checklist.
- Students will be selected for the program based on their prior academic and leadership experience, the extent to which they will benefit from the GLI experience, and the extent to which they can contribute to the learning of the whole GLI group. Please note: The essay portion of the application is most important in the selection decision because successful leadership requires outstanding thinking and communication skills.
- Request a recommendation from a faculty member or academic advisor familiar with your leadership interests and your ability to function well in a foreign country. This correspondence should be sent directly to the address below on organizational letterhead or e-mailed from a business address.
- Attach a current résumé.
- Attach one additional letter from a supervisor of employment or volunteer experience (preferably on letterhead).
- Candidates may be called for a personal interview.
- Completed Global Leadership Initiative (GLI) application
- One letter of reference (sent directly to GLI).
- Second letter of reference, attached to application (optional).
The completed application must be received by 5:00 pm on March 16, 2012. Return applications to:
College of Health and Human Development
Attn: Global Leadership Initiative
215 Henderson Building
University Park, PA 16802-6501
Students will be notified in mid-April of the selection committee’s decision.