HDFS Children's Programs: History
The Child Development Laboratory (CDL) was established at Penn State in 1929 as a part-day nursery school and has operated continuously since that date. In 1979, the CDL became a full-day, full-year program and in 1996 an infant and toddler classroom was added. The program currently serves 54 children from 6 weeks to 6 years of age.
In February 2001, the CDL was joined by the Bennett Family Center (BFC), a newly constructed laboratory school. The BFC was made possible through a generous donation from Edna Bennett Pierce ’53. Like the CDL, the BFC operates full-day and full-year. The program serves 120 children from 6 weeks to 6 years of age as well as an Arts-Integrated Kindergarten class.
Both centers are accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children.