Please send your news items to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lori Francis (HDFS PhD, 2003) was accepted into the Schreyer Honors College Distinguished Honors Faculty Program at Penn State
- Mildred Maldonado-Molina (HDFS PhD, 2005) was elected to serve on the board of directors of the Society for Prevention Research
- Erin Sharp (HDFS PhD, 2006) was inducted into the Research and Engagement Academy as a Faculty Scholar at the University of New Hampshire
- Kyungmin Kim (HDFS, 2012) has been interviewed in a New York Times article, which features her dissertation work.
- Jeff Dew (HDFS and Demography, 2007) just promoted to associate professor at Utah State.
- The National Governors Association (NGA) named Jennifer Brooks (HDFS PhD, 2000) director of the Economic, Human Services and Workforce Division of the NGA Center for Best Practices (NGA Center). The NGA Center gathers, develops and disseminates innovative solutions to today’s most pressing public policy challenges in direct support of the nation’s governors.
- Kelly Cichy (HDFS PhD, 2007), recently received tenure and was promoted to Associate Professor at Kent State University.
- Claire Kamp Dush (HDFS PhD, 2005), Professor of Human Development and Family Science, recently won The Ohio State University - College of Education and Human Ecology, Distinguished Teaching Award! http://news.ehe.osu.edu/2014/04/10/colleges-distinguished-awards-highlight-faculty-staff-success/
- Tanya Boone-Holladay (HDFS PhD, 2004) has been named Chair of the Department of Psychology at Cal State Bakersfield: http://www.csub.edu/psychology/contact/index.html
- Kira Birditt (HDFS PhD, 2002) was elected fellow in the Gerontological Society of America
- Kelly Rulison (HDFS PhD, 2010) received the Mary Frances Stone Teaching Award at the University of North Carolina Greensboro
- A paper by Mildred Maldonado-Molina (HDFS PhD, 2005) and colleagues was listed as the top 25 most read ethnicity and race articles of 2013 by Taylor & Francis Online
- Caitlin Abar (HDFS PhD, 2010) was awarded the Research Excellence Award from the Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies at Brown University
- Megan Patrick (HDFS PhD, 2008) received the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program Outstanding Research Mentor Award at the University of Michigan
- Rachel Razza (HDFS PhD, 2005) received the Syracuse University Award for Excellence in Online Teaching
- Shawn Whiteman (HDFS PhD, 2004) received the Early Career Research Achievement Award from the College of Health and Human Sciences at Purdue University
- Shannon Jarrott (HDFS PhD, 1999) has been named a co-recipient of Gernerations United's Brabazon Award for Evaluation Research. This distinction recognizes significant contributions to the field of evaluation research in the intergenerational field. The award was given based on a recent paper she co-authored in The Gerontologist, "Complement of Research and Theory in Practice: Contact Theory at Work in Non-Familial Intergenerational Programs." Jarrott currently is an associate professor at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
- Jeffrey Dew (HDFS PhD, 2007) received the Outstanding Paper Award from the Financial Therapy Association
- Erik Porfeli (HDFS PhD, 2004) received the Early Career Professional Award from the Society for Vocational Psychology
- Kristen Carol Jacobson (HDFS PhD, 1999) was named the Most Outstanding Member of the Faculty, Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Neuroscience, University of Chicago, 2011-2012
- Elizabeth Fauth (HDFS PhD, 2005) received the Emma Eccles Jones College of Education and Human Services Teacher of the Year Award
- Meghan Gillen (HDFS PhD, 2006) was awarded the Outstanding Teacher award at Penn State Abington
- Lindsay Ryan (HDFS PhD, 2008) was awarded the A. Regula Herzog Young Investigator Award from the University of Michigan Survey Research Center
- Aryn Dotterer (HDFS PhD, 2006) was presented with the Teaching for Tomorrow Award by the Office of the Provost at Purdue University
- Mark Ginsberg (HDFS PhD, 1981), executive director and CEO of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), has been appointed dean of Mason’s College of Education and Human Development, effective Aug. 1.
- Kira Birditt (2002) won the Early Career Award from the Society for the Study of Human Development.
- Megan Patrick (2008) holds the Ruth L. Kirschstein Nation Research Service Award (NRSA) Individual Post-Doctoral Fellowship (NIAAA). Megan has accepted a position with the University of Michigan's SRC Faculty Research Fellows Program. She plans a research career focused on prevention and developmental science that informs health promotion efforts designed to reduce the negative effects of substance use. Her research interests center on the etiology and prevention of substance use behaviors among adolescents and young adults.
- Erin Sharp (2006) has accepted a new position as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Family Studies at the University of New Hampshire. The position provides a joint appointment between Family Studies and the Carsey Institute, a new research center that conducts policy-relevant research focused on vulnerable children, youth, and families.
- Stephanie Lanza (HDFS PhD, 2003) received the Society for Prevention Research ECPN Early Career Award
- Joseph Gaugler, Ph.D. (1999), Associate Professor, School of Nursing, Center on Aging, and Coordinator of Research Initiatives, Center for Gerontological Nursing, University of Minnesota, was awarded the McKnight Presidential Fellow Award, which is awarded to 5-6 faculty at University of Minnesota who were most recently granted tenure. The award is to recognize their accomplishments and support their ongoing research and scholarship.
- Heather Helms (HDFS PhD, 2000) received the Senior Faculty Teaching Excellence Award from the School of Human and Environmental Sciences, University of North Carolina – Greensboro
- Shannon E. Jarrot (HDFS PhD, 1999) was elected a fellow of the Gerontological Society of America
- Tracy L. Spinrad (HDFS PhD, 1997) was chosen as an Arizona State University Promotion and Tenure Faculty Exemplar