HPA e-Newsletter — Spring 2011
- read all alumni news -
- HPA APG receives 2010 MACS Award
- The HPA APG was selected by the College of Health and Human Development Alumni Society Board's executive committee to receive the 2010 MACS Award, recognizing outstanding achievements in mentoring, awards, communications, and social/professional activities.
- Mentoring weekend a success
- The HPA Mentoring Weekend and a “Jump Starting Your Career” workshop brought together HPA students and alumni to provide the opportunity for alumni to share advice and experiences to help students become successful in the health care field.
- Alumni share experiences with students at 'Professionals in the Classroom' event
- Alumni and health care leaders spoke to students in the HPA undergraduate and graduate students as part of the Professionals in the Classroom program. All participants spoke in HPA classes; others also took part in an evening panel discussion which was attended by students and faculty and where several alumni were recognized for achievements.
- Alumni award nominations sought
- The HPA Department is taking nominations for four HPA Alumni Awards.
- read all student news -
- MHA case competitors finish among top teams in Alabama
- Penn State Master of Health Administration (MHA) students finished among the top six teams in the country squaring off in February at the annual Health Administration Case Competition.
- Ph.D. students participate in, grateful for conference opportunity
- Two Health Policy and Administration Ph.D. candidates recently participated in the Cancer Health Disparities conference organized by American Association of Cancer Research (AACR) in Miami.
- HPA organizations join forces for THON
- The HPA Club and Future Health Care Executives Club Thon worked together to raise money for the 2011 Penn State Dance Marathon.
- Four earn HPA Department scholarships
- Four Health Policy and Administration students have been awarded scholarships through the HPA Department and College of Health and Human Development.
- HealthWorks a rewarding experience for HPA students
- HPA students Tiana Lukas and Katie Krauss serve as peer educators for HealthWorks, a Peer Education Outreach Program which is a part of the Health Promotion and Wellness department at University Health Services.
- HPA senior earns prestigious ACHE award
- Senior Caitlin Grim has been honored as a 2010 recipient of the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) Early Career Healthcare Executive Regentís Award.
- MHA team reaches semi-finals at competition
- A team of four Master of Health Administration (MHA) students was among the semi-finalist teams competing at the fifteenth-annual Everett V. Fox Student Case Competition in Memphis, Tennessee.
- HPA student pens column for local newspaper
Faculty and Staff News
- read all faculty/staff news -
- New faculty member focuses on health care disparities
- Dr. Patricia Miranda has recently joined the HPA faculty as an assistant professor, focusing her research on health care disparities affecting vulnerable populations.
- HPA instructor earns degree in public health preparedness
- read all announcements -
- MHA receives accreditation
- The Penn State Master of Health Administration (MHA) program has been re-accredited by the The Council on the Accreditation of Health Management Educations (CAHME) for three years.
- Health reform topic of annual Mayers Lecture
- The 14th Annual Stanley P. Mayers Endowed Lecture and reception is slated for Wednesday, April 6. This year, the lecture will feature a panel discussion, titled "How Health Reform and a Regional Medical Campus will Change Centre County Healthcare."
- Calendar of Events
- Supporting the department
- Stay connected through Facebook and LinkedIn