Physical and Health Education Teacher Education Option: Clearance Information
Clearances for the PHETE Option include the following, and any references made to clearances in the information below pertain to all of these documents:
- FBI Criminal History Record
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance (ACT 151)
- PA State Police Criminal Record Check (ACT 34)
- Tuberculosis Test
- Professional Liability Insurance.
In addition to the above, Adult and Child CPR certification and First Aid certification through either the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association is required prior to enrolling in Kines 495A Student Teaching Practicum.
Students in the PHETE option or those anticipating entrance into the PHETE option are required to maintain current clearances each year throughout their academic experience. Please read this document in its entirety as it is imperative these clearances be obtained and regularly updated to successfully remain in the PHETE option. You are required to have clearances for the following: Kines 295A (pre-Block 1), Block 1 (Kines 261, 262, 264, 266 & 268), Block 2 (Kines 362, 364, 366, & 400), Block 3 (Kines 464, 466, 468 & 469W), Block 4 (Kines 495A).
**All clearances are required prior to or within the first week of classes**
- No student may proceed with any of the Blocks or Kines 295A until ONE copy of ALL clearances are presented to the undergraduate staff assistant.
- All clearances are good for one year and must be updated annually.
- Students must make sure their clearances (including TB test and professional liability insurance) do not expire within a given semester in which they are enrolled in any of the above courses. In such cases, students will not be permitted to continue in the field experience course with an expired clearance.
- Failure to present these required clearances before the beginning of a field experience will result in your dismissal from a field experience course.
- Follow instructions carefully to prevent delays. Contact the undergraduate staff assistant at email@example.com or 814-863-0442 for more information.
Your clearances may be dropped off in person, mailed, faxed, or e-mailed to the Kinesiology Undergraduate Staff Assistant at:
Department of Kinesiology
276 Recreation Bldg.
University Park, PA 16802
CLEARANCES REQUIRED FOR ALL FIELD EXPERIENCES
1. FBI Federal Criminal History Records
Federal Criminal History Records must be valid for the entire length of the semester in which you are enrolled in a field experience class (Kines 295A, Block 1, 2, 3 and 4). Additional information about this requirement is available at FBI Clearances
If you have already obtained a FBI Clearance and it has expired within the last year, you may complete a "Certification of NO OFFENSES". You must attach the prior FBI clearance to the waiver as it will not be accepted without this documentation. If you do not have a previous FBI clearance, you will be required to obtain a new FBI Clearance. Please note this is ONLY for the FBI and is not valid for any of the other clearances.**NO EXCEPTIONS**
2. PA Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151)
PA Child Abuse History Clearance must be valid for the entire length of the semester in which you are enrolled in a field experience class (Kines 295A, Block 1, 2, 3 and 4). Forms are available at: Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance Form. Indicate SCHOOL as the "Purpose of Clearance." Mail completed form directly to the Harrisburg agency identified on the form. The application must be accompanied by a money order--no personal checks accepted. As a precaution in case of loss or delay, make a copy of the completed form before mailing. Forms are also available in Chambers building in the College of Education. Allow 6-8 weeks for processing.
3. PA State Police Criminal Record Check (Act 34)
PA State Police Criminal Record Check must be valid for the entire length of the semester in which you are enrolled in a field experience class (Kines 295A, Block 1, 2, 3 and 4).
Students may elect to use the paper form or the online criminal record check:
- Paper form - The PA State Criminal history request forms SP4-164 are available at: Pennsylvania State Request for Criminal Record Check Form. Indicate EMPLOYMENT as the "Reason for Request." Mail completed form directly to the Harrisburg agency identified on the form. The application must be accompanied by a certified check or money order--no personal checks accepted. As a precaution in case of loss or delay, make a copy of the completed form before mailing. Forms are also available in Chambers building in the College of Education. Allow 6-8 weeks for processing.
- On-Line Request - epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp. You can submit your request on-line, and you'll usually have it back within 24 hours. It is the same cost as sending the paper form. Be sure to print out a copy of your record check and turn it in with the rest of your clearances to the Undergraduate Staff Assistant in Kinesiology.
4. Tuberculosis Test
TB Test results are good for one year and must be valid for the entire length of the semester in which you are enrolled in a field experience class (Kines 295A, Block 1, 2, 3 and 4). Check to be sure your test results don't expire within the semester you are enrolled in any of the block classes or Kines 295A.
In compliance with regulations of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, the PSU Office of Pre-service Teaching Experiences requires students enrolled in all field experiences to present proof of a negative TB test before beginning any field experience. You may have the test administered by your family doctor or at the Student Health Center (www.sa.psu.edu/uhs/). Since skin tests must be read 48 hours after administration, schedule your test to ensure that the health facility will be open for your follow-up visit. Students who test positively because of previous health conditions must submit proof of X-ray examinations. Submit ONE copy, not the original, of your test results on letter-size (8.5 X 11) paper to the undergraduate staff assistant before or at the beginning of the semester.
5. Professional Liability Insurance
Professional Liability Insurance must be valid for the entire length of the semester in which you are enrolled in a field experience class (Kines 295A, Block 1, 2, 3 and 4). All students who intend to participate in any of the Blocks or Kines 295A are required to procure and maintain professional liability insurance for the duration of all such programs. Students may consider any one of the following resources when selecting professional liability insurance.
- American Alliance for Health Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD) . Annual student membership fee is $50 and a $1 million dollar policy costs $25. Forrest T. Jones & Co, Inc is the group insurance administrator for AAHPERD and can be contacted at www.ftj.com/aahperd. (Note: AAHPERD student membership is required for Kines 295A. It is strongly recommended that students maintain membership through graduation in the PHETE option.)
- The Student Pennsylvania State Education Association (SPSEA) is an alternative option. Annual membership fee is $30.00 and includes $1 million of liability protection, which is applicable to classroom situations. SPSEA membership enrollment forms are available online at SPSEA or from the SPSEA Student Programs Coordinator, who may be reached at PSU's Office of Certification and Education Services, 228 Chambers, 814-865-0488.
DISCLAIMER The information set forth above is not intended to and should not be construed to constitute an endorsement or recommendation of any particular insurance product, company, or organization. The organizations listed above are referenced solely for informational purposes and as a courtesy, to assist you with your inquiries. The Pennsylvania State University is not responsible for, and expressly disclaims all liability for, damages or losses of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance upon the information provided herein. No guarantees or warranties of merchantability, applicability, or fitness for a particular use or purpose have been made. The Pennsylvania State University makes no claims or representations about the accuracy, reliability, timeliness, usefulness or completeness of the information provided herein. Furthermore, The Pennsylvania State University makes no representations or guarantees regarding the quality or applicability of any particular insurance products, or regarding the financial stability of any of the organizations referenced herein.