Ford Building Ceremony Scheduled for September 14
September 6, 2007
The College of Health and Human Development will celebrate the naming of the Donald H. Ford Building at a ceremony on Friday, September 14 at 4:00 p.m. The University’s Board of Trustees voted in March to name the building, formerly the Business Administration Building, after the founding dean of the College of Human Development. The ceremony will take place on the lawn in front of the building and will be followed by a reception in Café Laura, Mateer Building. Tours of the building will also be offered following the ceremony.
The building, formerly home of the Smeal College of Business and located at the southeast intersection of Park Avenue and Allen Road, underwent extensive renovations during the spring and summer. It is now home to three academic units in the College of Health and Human Development – the Departments of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Health Policy and Administration, and Recreation, Park, and Tourism Management. In addition, the building houses the Speech and Hearing Clinic and the Center for Health Care and Policy Research, both of which are affiliated with the college.
Donald H. Ford’s career at Penn State spanned more than thirty years. From 1958 to 1967, he served as director of the Division of Counseling, the predecessor to today’s Division of Undergraduate Studies. He was appointed founding dean of the College of Human Development in 1967, a position he held for a decade. In 1977 he returned to the faculty and published six books focused on developmental theory and psychotherapy. He retired from the University in 1991 as professor emeritus and dean emeritus of human development. Ford and his wife, Carol, live in State College.
Editors: For additional information, please contact the College of Health and Human Development Office of College Relations at (814) 865-3831 or firstname.lastname@example.org.