Iron…Works: John Beard Memorial Symposium
Iron…Works is a symposium to be held to honor the memory of Dr. John Beard, Distinguished Professor of Nutrition, as a tribute to his scientific contributions across the spectrum of iron nutrition.
This one-day scientific symposium will cover recent advances and state of the science across the spectrum of translational iron biology, from the molecular regulation of iron metabolism to the functional consequences of iron deficiency on neurophysiology and cognition to international and domestic interventions and public health policy.
Gold is for the mistress–silver for the maid–Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade."Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,“But Iron–Cold Iron–is master of them all."
— Rudyard Kipling
Date, Time, and Location
Monday, November 2, 2009
9:00 a.m. — 3:00 p.m.
The Nittany Lion Inn
Penn State University Park
There is no registration fee for the symposium and luncheon. However, those who plan to attend should register by contacting Julie Brenneman at email@example.com or 814-865-0108.
In addition, a block of rooms has been reserved at the Nittany Lion Inn for anyone needing lodging November 1 and/or 2. Should you wish to stay at this location, please contact the Inn directly at 814-865-8500 and reference “JOHK09A” prior to October 2, 2009.
Invited Speakers for the Scientific Program
- Elizabeth Theil (CHORI)
- James Connor (Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center)
- Sean Lynch (Eastern Virginia Medical School)
- Rebecca Stoltzfus (Cornell University)
- Laura Murray-Kolb (Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health/Penn State)
- Betsy Lozoff (University of Michigan)
Gifts in John's memory are being accepted and encouraged in anticipation of establishing an endowment in his name to support the Department of Nutritional Sciences. There are several ways to give:
- Visit www.giveto.psu.edu/waystogive.
Instructions: Click the ‘Make a Gift Online Today’ link. On the second page of the form, there are four areas to fill out: 1. First line, fill in ‘Total Gift Amount’; 2. Under ‘Designation of Gift’, use drop down box and choose Other; 3. List the Total Gift Amount once more; 4. ‘Additional Information’ box: Type in - Gift in memory of John Beard.
- Write a check, payable to Penn State, and mail to Penn State, 17 Old Main, University Park, PA 16802 and enclose a note mentioning that your gift is in honor of John
- Make a gift using a credit card or make a gift pledge over a period of time.
Call or contact a member of the development team to discuss your personal thoughts and to answer any questions about how you can participate. They will be pleased to assist you in your planning:
- Maggie Crispell
- Director of Development
- Bob Crusciel
- Director of Major Gifts
- Gordon Jensen
- Head, Department of Nutritional Sciences
All donors will be recognized and all donor names will be shared with Johnís family.