Many students are active in social and professional organizations and clubs. Activities such as special events, guest lectures and field trips are planned all year long.
The student chapter of the Penn State Hotel and Restaurant Society, for example, arranges field trips to the International Hotel and Restaurant Show in New York City and the National Restaurant Show in Chicago. The chapter’s affiliation with the national alumni group gives students contacts with outstanding professionals. SHM students are also active in the Club Managers Association of America, Hotel Sales and Marketing Club, Penn State Catering Society, Eta Sigma Delta honor society and the National Society of Minorities in Hospitality, and the Professional Convention Manager's Association.
Students meet with Roger Dow, CEO of U.S. Travel Association, during a reception to honor him as the PSHRS 2010 Hospitality Executive of the Year. Dow to shared his insight on industry trends with the students.
SHM Student Organizations
- American Hotel & Lodging Association
- Casino Management Club
- Penn State Catering Society
- Club Managers Association of America
- Cooking with Kids
- Eta Sigma Delta
- Hospitality Finance and Technology Professionals
- Hotel Sales Marketing Club
- HM Graduate Student Association
- National Society of Minorities in Hospitality
- Penn State Hotel & Restaurant Society
- Meetings and Events Club (Student Chapter of PCMA)
- School of Hospitality Management THON Committee