Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Management (2HRIM)
Offered at Penn State Berks.
Coordinator of Berks program:
James A. Bardi
Penn State Berks-Lehigh Valley College
The Penn State School of Hospitality Management offers an associate in science degree program in Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Management at the Penn State Berks campus. This intensive, four-semester program—which helps prepare students for managerial positions in the hospitality industry—incorporates courses specific to the major with general education courses that help students develop a general knowledge base in business. In addition, students will have an opportunity to complete an internship at a local hotel, restaurant, or institutional foodservice facility during the second half of the program.
This program is enhanced by the opportunity for students to transfer into the HRIM baccalaureate degree program offered at Penn State University Park should they desire to do so.
Career Opportunities for 2HRIM
Typically, the graduate of 2-year HRIM program begins his/her career at the assistant supervisor level. Personal dedication to achievement, combined with the technical skills and applied theory gained in the classroom allow these graduates to compete successfully in the hospitality industry. Entry level supervisory positions are available in hotels, restaurants, hospitals, nursing homes, life care communities, country clubs, theme parks and sports complexes.
Selected Job Titles of Graduates:
- General Manager Limited Service Hotel
- Supervisor Dietary Department
- Assistant Manager Dietary Food Production
- Manager/Assistant Manager Fast Food Service
- Regional Manager Fast Food Service
- Restaurant Manager Fine Dining Restaurant
- Assistant Restaurant Manager Family Restaurant
- Catering Manager
- Assistant Banquet Manager
- Food Service Supervisor Budget Steak House
- Night Auditor
- Food Service Supervisor Concessions
- Director Food Service Concessions
- Food Service Supervisor
- Country Club Manager
- Food Service Supervisor Life Care Community