Our mission is to educate, inspire, and empower the next generation of female leaders with the core values, attitudes and skills that are the foundation of quality leadership.
- To create opportunities for women students to observe, interact with, and learn from outstanding established leaders, and
- To facilitate the process of developing philosophies and individualized plans for becoming tomorrow's leaders.
Upon completion of the Women's Leadership Initiative experience, the student will:
- express a personal leadership philosophy
- begin to develop a personal leadership style
- articulate and practice the key dimensions of leadership in diverse cultures and contexts
- maintain existing and initiate new networks with leaders
- engage in continuous learning and improvement
- be willing to develop and nurture future leaders
- recognize the responsibility and contributions of WLI alumnae to leadership development
"The WLI did not just teach me about how to be a leader, it put me into activities and provided opportunities where I could be a leader. Teambuilding activities and other assessments provided a means of learning more about myself, my leadership style, and how I can work to improve myself and work with others to improve these aspects."
- Carolyn Guerriero, Nutritional Sciences
The WLI experience includes:
- Friday seminars and weekend workshops
- observations of and discussions about leadership in action
- selected readings for discussion, observation, and experimentation
- mentoring by woman leaders
- a service experience
- a field trip to observe leaders in various career fields